One of us! One of us!


Friday 26 October 2012

Evil Dead remake.

I might be a little late on the boat with this one, but this morning, someone pointed me towards the red band trailer for the Evil Dead remake, viewable here:

Evil Dead 2013 trailer!

As you have possibly noticed, I am extremely sceptical around the area of remakes, or 're-imaginings' (as is the buzzword for 'atrocity'... obviously). The Nightmare on Elm Street remake, and it's hideous pillaging of what I consider to be some of the finest moments in the horror genre, was saved by the presence of Kyle Gallner and his speedos, Nispel's Texas Chainsaw Massacre lacked the teeth and the grime of the original, and please... I beg you... Don't make me think about the Friday 13th remake :(

So it was with a cynical sneer and a heart full of contempt that I approached this latest remake. The presence of Jane Levy and Shiloh Fernandez notwithstanding! The Evil Dead holds a very special place in my childhood memories, as possibly one of the first horror films I remember watching, with my older brother. Being quite a few years older than me, my Mum used to make him watch horror films in the living room with the door shut... So poor impressionable little Gray didn't get all traumatised and what not. Unbeknownst to Mummy, was the fact that if I merely pulled the netted dividing curtains next to the door just so... Being very careful not to pull the pins out of the wall and so alert the feds (or parents.. if you will), I could watch my brothers horror film to my hearts content. Parents were none the wiser and all was content.

Going into school the next day and while playing tag screeching "DEAD BY DAWN!!!!" while trying to catch the other children however, gave my game away somewhat. It was shortly after that meeting with the headteacher that my parents realised that whatever barrier they put between their sweet little blonde child and the horror genre, she would tear it down.


I know that a lot of fans of the original film have an issue with the fact that there is no Ash Williams character, one of the most iconic heroes of horror. But for a moment, think how much you would hate it if there was a new Ash, an Ash that wasn't Bruce Campbell and didn't tread that line of comedy and horror acting so finely as he. What if Ash was played by someone like... I dunno... Justin Timberlake or someone awful like that (No offence to Mr Timberlake... he is very good at what he does, which is shitty acting). I myself was one of those who scoffed at the castlist "What? No ASH?", and it was only this morning, while watching the face slicing, arterial spray-tastic trailer that I thought.... I don't want anyone else to be Ash. Ash is Bruce Campbell, Bruce Campbell is Ash and I would hate it if anyone else reprised that role.

Of course this could be another case of all the best parts of a horror film being in the trailer (Paranormal Activity, I'm looking at you here), and I will reserve final judgement until I see the finished product, but all in all a VERY promising peek!

No comments:

Post a Comment